Ribbon Cutting of National Child Development Center - A Priority project of Hon. Mayor Arsenia J. Lim.
Distribution of high-end computer units to different schools.
Solo Parent Livelihood Program - Basket Making with Mayor Arsenia J. Lim

MASINLOC was among the native settlements visited by Capt. Juan de Salcedo in his exploration of Western Luzon in 1572. During this expedition, Salcedo encountered a sampan where a Zambal chieftain and his followers were being held captives by Chinese warriors. A fight between Salcedo’s men and the Chinese warriors ensued in which the Spaniards emerged as victorious. The captive Zambals were freed, and in return, readily accepted the Spanish sovereignty. The clash was later depicted in a courageous war dance / play called “Binabayani” and was later incorporated as one of the major activities in the annual Religious Town Fiesta in Masinloc celebrated every November 29-30.

In 1607, the Augustinian or Recollect Order missionaries headed by Fray Andres del Espiritu Santo came and landed in the shores of Bani at the northernmost corner of Masinloc Bay, which was later named Barrio San Andres. The re-organized founder of Masinloc led to the organization of Zambales as a province and proceeded to build the first Catholic Church and a Convent in Zambales with St. Andrew as the patron saint.  Because of its navigable bay, its being at the center of the province, Masinloc was chosen as the center of missionary activities and matrix for the development of the other towns in the province.  

Masinloc was organized as the first town of the province of Zambales in 1607 and as the first provincial capital of the then extensive province of Zambales that extended from Cape Bolinao to Subic Bay, until Sta. Cruz and later Iba took this honor from her. Masinloc was governed approximately by more than 119 governadorcillos, alcaldes/mayors at different times.  Deigo Casuplin was the first head of the “municipio”. 

Masinloc gave birth to two (2) other municipalities, i.e., Palauig and Candelaria. In 1870, barrio San Vicente was given its decree of independence as a separate municipality under the new appellation of Candelaria. Then, it was reincorporated to Masinloc until in 1905 when it finally maintained a separate existence up to the present. 

Through the so-called “reduccion” program, meaning town settlement done by making scattered settlers converge into the designated town proper to facilitate Christianization, government control and collection of tributes, the people in Masinloc were required to occupy only the areas with flat section. Likewise, during the World War II, the Poblacion area was virtually converted into a concentration camp and all the civilians were forced to live in the town proper as a preventive measure for the establishment of contacts with guerillas.

The old theory of how the town acquired its name was through the phrase: “it is the town where there is a river,” i.e., in the “Bolinao-Zambal” dialect interpretation, “Babali nin masin Ilog”. The repeated and mispronounced phrase “Masin Ilog” resulted to the name “MASINLOC”. Other church historians claimed that the etymology of Masinloc came from the root word “jinloc” and the participle “ma”. “Jinloc” tree is a native plant that grows abundantly along the northeast portion of the town growing to a meter and a half with thin stalks and wide large leaves. 

Masinloc is a coastal town situated between the Zambales Mountain in the east and China Sea on the west. It has thirteen (13) barangays, namely: San Lorenzo, Sto. Rosario, Bamban, Inhobol,  North Poblacion, South Poblacion, Collat, Tapuac, Sta. Rita, Baloganon, Taltal, Bani and San Salvador Island. 

In 2001, the church made of stone corals was declared as a “National Cultural Treasure” by the National Museum thru Presidential Decree No. 374.

The first successful Marine Sanctuary Project (127 hectares) in the Luzon Islands was established in San Salvador Island. The fish sanctuary project garnered top national award for “Best in Local Governance” in 1996 from the “Gawad Galing Pook”.  

The town is famous for its nationally known sweet “Zambales Carabao Mango”. The town was also designated as one of the potential sites for Industrial Development by the   Philippine Economic Zone Authority (PEZA). In support to this, the LGU-Masinloc subsequently declared the three (3) adjoining barangays: Bani, Taltal and Baloganon as industrial areas. 

Masinloc was once touted with the largest deposit of Chrome Minerals in the world. The mining site is owned by the Coto Mines Inc. (CMI) but Benguet Corporation-Masinloc Chromite Operations (BC-MCO) operated the Chrome Refractory. The Wharf in Baloganon was used for shipping chrome ores mined in Masinloc since 1933. The town is boost with the best potential for ports development with its well-sheltered and navigable bays. This resulted to the declaration of Masinloc as “Port of Entry” in 1972 under Republic Act No. 6452.

Another major industry in the municipality is the construction and eventual operation of the 600 megawatts Masinloc Coal-Fired Thermal Power Plant (MCFTPP) in 1998. With the inception of this industry, the 7,650 hectares Masinloc and Oyon Bays was proclaimed in 1994 as the first “Protected Sea Escapes” in the Philippines under the NIPAS Act.






Masinloc is located in the northern part of Zambales. It is 30 kilometers north of the provincial capital which is Iba. It is approximately 110 kilometers north of Olongapo City and 250 kilometers from Manila. 


The town is divided into two parts by the Masinloc River. The barangays of   Bani, Taltal and Baloganon are situated in the northern part while the other barangays except the island of San Salvador are situated on the southern part. 





Masinloc by area is approximately two-thirds mountainous on the east extending as far as Tarlac boundary and one-third rolling hills and flat surface on the west extending to the Masinloc Bay. The 7,650 hectares Masinloc & Oyon Bays that provide good harbour for local as well as international sea vessels was proclaimed a “Protected Sea Escapes” in 1994 under the NIPAS Act.  


There are at least four (4) piers in Masinloc, namely: The BCI Wharf (used for loading chromites from Coto Mines); MCFTPP (for unloading coals); the C-Square owned by Don Faculdo for unloading chromite; and the Matalvis Pier previously used for unloading oil products by the Petron Bulk Plant.


Three major rivers (the Lauis River on the extreme north, the Masinloc River in the middle and the upper portion of Salaza on the South) and their tributaries comprise the major fresh water resources for irrigation and for domestic use. The source of water supply for Masinloc is the Bulsa Creek which is situated 10 kilometers from the town with an elevation of 157 meters.  


Several patch deposit of minerals (Chromites and Nickel) were abundant in the mountain areas. Chromites deposit in Masinloc was once considered the biggest in the world. 


The highest mountain ridge is about 2,037 meters above sea level and others are ranging from 500 meters and above elevation. The Poblacion area is less than two (2) meters above the high sea level.  





The climate of Masinloc, like other towns of Zambales, has two (2) distinct seasons, the dry and the wet seasons. 




Soil classifications / description / features in Masinloc are as follows: Hydrosol, mountain soil, Bani clay, La Paz sandy loam and Cabangan clay loam.


© 2017 Municipality of Masinloc, Zambales

Please publish modules in offcanvas position.